Monday 30 September 2013

Influences For My Comic Work

I started reading comics some time in the late 1980's, and aside from a short break, I have been interested in them ever since. The art has always been what attracted me to a book, more than the writing. I guess that is to be expected with my interest in drawing always being strong. (I am not saying that good writing isn't important, but a good art team can cover up a lot of warts in a story line, at least in my opinion)

My favorite artists in the comic book world have at one time or another pretty much all worked for Marvel Comics - Jim Lee, Joe Madureira, Andy and Adam Kubert, Todd McFarlane, and J Scott Campbell are probably my six favorite artists. I am sure they are a lot of peoples favorite artist.

I also like to take influence from far lesser known artist. I am a member of DeviantArt - and through DeviantArt I have discovered many, many greta artists that have inspired me to try new techniques as well as collaborate with. Two artists who I have taken great pleasure in coloring line work are JK5-Inks and DevGear - the inking these artist have done has given  me awesome work to color, and has also given me the inspiration to try my hand at inking. I have posted an example of work I have done on both artist line work below.

Over the coming weeks, I will be doing entries about each artist who has influenced my work and what about their work has influenced mine. I will also post about more traditional artist who have inspired my work - such as Larry Elmore, Keith Parknison,  Frank Franzetta and Boris Vallejo.

Pencils by Mike DeBalfo, Inks by JK5-Inks and Colours by Matt James

Pencils by imagine-1207, Inks by DevGear, Colours by Matt James
submit to reddit

No comments:

Post a Comment