Wednesday 16 October 2013

Influence Spotlight: Joe Madureria

This will be a regular feature on my page where I will talk about influences on my techniques and styles. Hopefully I can introduce you to new artists, or give you a different way to look at artists you already know.

Today, I am going to take a look at Joe Madureria. I first saw Joe’s work when he did his first issue of the Uncanny X-Men around 1994-95. It was different to most of the art I had seen at the time, and I was taken with his unique style immediately.

The first thing most people notice about Madureria’s work is the Manga influence, he usually has very expressive eyes, and his action scenes always seem to have a hint of Manga about them. For me it was the expressions he put on his characters that was the big draw card. I loved the way he could make the expressions so easy to read, and in my opinion, moved away form the basic expressions that comic book pencillers at the time tended to stick with (a criticism that was commonly leveled at Liefield and Lee, fairly or not)
You can also see an obvious influence from J Scott Campbell in his work, which I believe is not a bad thing.

Make sure you also check out the Joe Mad wisdom in these two posts! Here and Here

Make sure you check out the awesome Joe Mad art below!


Links
Wiki for info about Joe 
Fanpage with great Joe Mad gallery
Another Fanpage with some good samples
Comics DB so you can see all the comics Joe Mad has worked on. 






submit to reddit

No comments:

Post a Comment